My own little TV Station

We have been working on a pretty neat little project, here in Edtown.

Using a pretty high powered desktop machine, we have been working on a custom setup to stream Educational “Free to everyone” TV stations over our network. Right now to stream 4 channels it looks like it is going to take a P4 3.4Ghz 2mb Cache. That is transcoding and streaming them all, all the time.

On the other end, to decode one channel at a time, it looks like it is going to take a PII 233mhz. Both machines will be running Linux and running VideoLan-Client to do this. is pretty cool. You can do a whole lotta stuff with it. There are apparently colleges that are streaming DVDs across their network and stuff with it.

I also setup a yam server. No not just because I wanted to be like you. Since we run a proxy server and all our machines have to route through it, it was making it a real PITA to get the packages for my machines. YUM really doesn’t seem to like going through authenticating proxies so I just decided to cut out that step and move all the packages in .

I am having a really odd error on that though were some of my repositories keep looking in “RPMS.$repo/Fedora/RPMS/” instead of just looking in “RPMS.$repo” for the packages. maxx you having any of that?

I got some howtos up about setting the VideoLan Streaming machine and a howto on how to setup the frontend clients too

This entry was posted in Geek and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to My own little TV Station

  1. maxx says:

    No Maxx, not -just- because I wanted to be like you
    So… that would mean that -part- of the reason you set it up is because you wanted to be like me! 🙂

    No, I don’t have that issue with Yam.

    And it looks like I’ll be setting up the VideoLAN thing as well. May have some Q’s for you next week.

  2. maxx says:

    So I found the problem… I had a cron job that I setup -before- I realized yam had an init script – and the script had been running every night and not completing. So there were about a dozen ‘yam -uxgq’ jobs in the queue (at 50kB/s each) which would cause the pipe to become saturated every time the -legitimate- yam job started up.
    A purge of the cron job and all the rsync processes fixed it. So it wasn’t rsync or yam that were to blame.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *